Friday, May 2, 2008

Something Nice Back Home

Happy Friday!

While I did do a fair share of vomiting in my mouth last night from being exposed to way too much Kate, I thought it was a great episode, even though I think it may have raised more questions than answers (which I know some of you just love).

1. A little parenting advice for Kate – I don’t know about you, but I don’t spend nearly as much time as Kate does running around in my underwear. I mean, seriously, that boy is going to have some serious Oedipal problems if she doesn’t put some pants on soon!

2. Why Rose and Bernard Rule:
a. “Watch your tone, Red”
b. Rose raises the best question of the night – “Why is Jack sick? You don’t get sick here; you get well.” I have been wondering the same thing for months – why did Ben get sick? Why do some people die and some don’t?
c. Bernard has mad-dentist skills – he can put a man out like nobody’s business.

3. Timeline clarification – Jack’s previous flashforwards (including the finale of last season) have been taking place, for the most part, AFTER tonight’s episode. When he meets Kate at the airport, they have broken up.

4. Where did Kate get all that money?

5. For Evan – my vote for Chuck Norris badass award: a tie – Jin and Sawyer. Jin with his threat to break all of Daniel’s fingers, Jin with his “I’m the guy who’s gonna put a boot in your face” threat to Miles if he doesn’t observe the “restraining order.”

6. Speaking of Sawyer – he is sooo falling for Claire. Too bad she’s gonna die any minute now.

7. THIS WEEK IN LOST LITERATURE: Alice in Wonderland. We’ve encountered this before, especially in “Through the Looking Glass.” Jack reads a key passage – “Who in the world am I? That’s the great puzzle.” And isn’t that what everyone is really discovering on the island?

8. Hurley Time: Poor, poor Hugo! He believes that he is really dead; that all the Oceanic 6 are really dead. What do you think?

9. A message from Charlie: “You’re not supposed to raise him, Jack.” “Someone’s gonna visit you, too.” Why isn’t Jack supposed to raise Aaron? Is Kate? The husband had a good theory – SAWYER is supposed to raise Aaron (as he is the one who finds him). What do you think?

10. Speaking of Aaron – THIS WEEK IN BIBLE STUDIES: Let’s revisit Aaron. Aaron is the brother of MOSES. He is the one who gave in to the people and started worshipping the Golden Calf, the sin of idolatry. Perhaps this is why it is so important that the right person raise him. Here’s my thought – Jack has made himself a martyr. Throughout the episode, he keeps talking about how he “Saved” or is going to “save” everyone. Perhaps he is the false idol? Perhaps that is why Aaron cannot be raised by him.

11. Why didn’t Smoky kill the soldiers from last week?

12. What is Kate doing for Sawyer? Why does Jack give a poo? It’s not like he is there. Could she be finding his daughter for him? Also very important, Sawyer CHOSE to stay on the island.

13. Jack seems to know that he is Aaron’s uncle, don’t you think?

14. HOLY CRAP MOMENT: Claire wakes up to find Christian holding Aaron. She calls him “Dad.” Which is odd, since she hated him and only discovered he was her father right before he died.

15. Is Christian supposed to be God?

16. Miles can hear the murder of Danielle and Carl. He also reveals that he “didn’t sign up for this.” Miles and Lapidus seem to be caught unknowingly caught up in something (love Lapidus!), while Daniel and Charlotte seem in on the whole thing.

17. Best line of the night: Miles – “I would have followed them, but I have a restraining order.”

Gotta get back to planning prom . . . yes, you read that right.

Namaste,
Your Loyal Lost Loser

5 comments:

EW said...

Since (can I start a sentence with "since" - English people, have at it) this episode has more questions than answers, I've decided to model my post in the same way.

What's with the whole ghosts of Christmas past thing here with Charlie and Christian? Does Charlie's ghost sing that annoying one hit wonder his band had all the time like alive Charlie did? I still can't get that thing out of my head and we haven't heard it in months!

Will Charlotte just die already? Why can't Jin break all her fingers? Charlotte = annoying.

What's next for Juliet? They have spent a lot of time making us like her again, which means something we don't like has to be coming soon . . .

Sawyer is so crushing on Claire, which Carla called in Season 1. Hey folks, my wife is smart (makes a mean breakfast, too . . . hope you all enjoyed it since hubby wasn't allowed to even have a sample)! :(

Best line of the night: Sawyer to Miles - "It's too early for Chinese."

Michael "My Boy" Annoying Moment of the Night: Charlotte's regular whining. That gal is getting worse than Kate at her worst. Am I alone in just not enjoying that character at all?

Sayid "Torture for Good Reasons" Moment of the Night: Jin to Charlotte. Notice that Jin says to Charlotte (and also earlier in the episode to Sun) that he wants Sun and the baby off the island - he also seems to choose to stay to ensure his family's safety (which I again interpret to mean that he isn't dead, just still on the island in the future forwards).

Just like Jin, guns don't kill people. Chuck Norris kills People.

SinD said...

Hey - did anyone go back to the beginning to see if Jack had scars on his side? I think that was the purpose of having him walk around half naked for the whole first segment and to have us suffer through the whole scene of Juliet shaving his stomach- weird and creepy. I haven't had a chance to check.

Unknown said...

Kate, great thoughts about last night. I share a few of them with you, but again, more questions than answers.

I too think that Christian serves as some other puprose here ....not sure what though. Also, I'm not assuming that Jack knows Aaron is his newphew. I don't have enough evidence yet to believe it. I also don't think Kate or anyone else knows it since Claire doesn't know that Jack is her half brother either.

Other thoughts...what are Charlotte and the other boat dude still hiding?!

Why does that captain guy off the boat want to kill everyone? I'm still confused...did I miss something.

(forgive me for referring to characters as "guy" or "dude"...I have a hard time remembering all their names and following the plot each week)

Until next week,
Kristen

Anonymous said...

I need answers!

I thought--was SURE OF IT--that this episode came AFTER Jack's first flash forward...that he started off bad when they first got back, had some issues with the booze etc. and then got better. Once he got better, he was able to welcome Kate and Aaron into his life...

BUT...now you say that that episode came after all this, so it's not like we're seeing Jack fall OFF THE WAGON, he is just beginning his downfall right now...

I am so confused! How do we know the timeline of all the flash forwards? David and I were talking about that last night...

Do you think the producers really want us to think that everyone's dead? They were def setting up the show last night to seem like all that flashforward was Jack's dream when he got knocked out...BTW, way for Juliet to take control there! You go girl! Kick Kate out!

And one more thing...GAG on the whole Jack's shirt thing with Kate. Her house is beautiful, doesn't she have enough $$ for her own nightie? :)

Help me!

Kate #2

Anonymous said...

I find it interesting that everyone seems to say that the people who stay on the island (those who are not the Oceanic 6) "choose" to stay. Any reason for that? Did I forget something?

Hate to brag here, but, like Jin, I knew that Charlotte could understand their conversation and was just waiting for Jin to say something to her. I dig that guy.

Does Aaron getting disovered in the jungle by Sawyer have anything to do with Moses getting found in the bushes? I'm definitely no Bible expert, but isn't that a famous story? Just throwing it out there.

More than being a great episode, like the previous one, this one was necessary in building the bridge to the future (the first episode of the season w/ Jack falling apart). And if you recall, in that episode Kate tells Jack that "he is waiting" for her and she has to get back. I guess that's a reference to Aaron?

Finally, isn't the real question not
"why does Jack give a crap about Kate helping Sawyer" but "why does Kate feel the need to lie to him about it?" Looking forward to those answers, which had BETTER COME SOON!

Rob