Tuesday, May 4, 2010

The Candidate

The Candidate

This episode was in the top five episodes of Lost ever! Others I include in my list?
The Constant, Through the Looking Glass, and a couple from seasons one and two (the premiere and the second season finale).

Alternaworld:

1. Locke’s initial injury caused by . . . a plane accident he was in with his father, Anthony Cooper. He caused it; destroyed his father. Helen says he loved his father more than anything . . . there we go again with those fathers and sons!

2. Yay! Bernard! Locke’s dentist. How about that!

3. AlternaJack is showing signs of his old ways . . . can’t let go of things.

4. Alternalocke mutters in his sleep, “Push the button” “I wish you had believed me”

5. Apollobar from machine . . . just like when Jacob touched Jack. Foreshadowing here? Jack tries to touch Claire, but she refuses. She isn’t “with” them on the island anymore.

6. Claire never met her father in Alternaworld

7. Mirrorbox . . . Claire and Jack in the same reflection. What do you think it means?

8. “What happened happened. You can let it go . . .” “I can help you, John. I wish you believed me.” Sound familiar? Is this saying that the island really did happen?


Islandland

1. When they put them in the cage, my first thought was “Please tell me this is not going to be a repeat of the last time they were in the cage. I might not ever watch again . . .”

2. I don’t think Flocke actually can kill them, just as Jack stated (Wrote this before he said it).

3. Shooting at smoke seems pretty pointless to me.

4. Flocke’s giving out honest trifles again . . .

5. Come on, Sawyer. You can’t be that dumb. Oh, good, you’re not.

6. Jack’s hair is really getting gray on the island. Do you suppose that is significant?

7. Favorite Line of the Night: “John Locke told me to stay!”


8. OMG! They shot Kate!

9. OMG! They abandoned Claire again!

10. Where’s Richard?

11. SAYID CHOOSES HUMANITY! Awesome ending for him!! You CAN always choose not to go to the dark side. Doesn't this action alone prove Jacob right and MIB wrong? Before he goes, he tells Jack about Desmond in the well and says, "Because it is going to be you." Hmmmm . . .

12. The sub was underwater in the underwater island image from the first episode.

13. Nobody cares that Lapidus died . . . poor guy.

14. Sun and Jin: They’re gonna die together. I am going to cry. Second saddest Lost moment, next to Charlie dying; slightly more weepy than Juliet dying. I guess in the end, it didn't matter which one was a candidate, because they were going to choose to be together no matter what. Maybe they were one candidate together.

15. Kate still loves Jack.

Is it possible that Alternalocke can somehow return to the island? He’s "the candidate" in alternaworld, after all. But more likely in my mind is the idea that Jack is becoming one with Locke (same name, I say again) and is therefore now suited to protect the island. In some ways, Realocke will live on . . .


Or (after a night of tossing and turning I'm leaning this way), will Alternalocke somehow go to the island to take his true place as the candidate so that the rest can live their alternalives? I'm starting to root for the idea that somehow they are going to get their alternalives, and that those lives are imperfect, and that's ok. After all, Jack has a son in alternaworld, Jin and Sun are together and waiting for Jeo Yin to arrive, Hurley is with Libby, Sawyer is going to meet Juliet, mother of David, ex of Jack, any day now (I just know it). Plus, if somehow Alternalocke can be the candidate, his life will have meaning, which is all he's ever wished for.

Next week looks kickass! It's all about Jacob and MIB.

In the end, it's all about the choices we make. Sayid certainly proved that. Sun and Jin (sob) certainly proved that. Jack is proving it weekly (whoda thunk I would spend most of the final season LIKING Jack? Still hate Kate, though).

That was sad. And beautiful. And a great episode.


Namaste,
LLL

p.s. This post was done without time to reflect, as I will be without internet tomorrow. Who runs a workshop in a place with no internet? Oh, people who actually want you to focus on what is going on. Jerks.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Losties will earn their "new" lives, I'm somehow sure of that. And it's clearly going to be Jack who is the catalyst for this (I have to believe Sayid when he said this before dying). Am I wrong, or is Jack the only remaining name that has not now been crossed out?

Don't know how I feel about Locke returning to the island in alternaworld; nor do I necessarily think the Losties will fully realize what has happened to them in their "other" lives.

I'm with you on the Juliet as wife prediction. And Sawyer is an idiot--he should've listened to Jack--they'll be okay. D'oh!

Richard will certainly return and play a key role in how this all ends. But will WALT?! Or did they seriously just run out of ideas for him and abandon ship completely. Bogus.

Can't wait till next week.

Rob

LoyalLostLoser said...

Rob, you are my favorite reader!

Good point about Walt. They HAVE to do something to conclude that story. And where is Vincent?

Richard is somewhere with Miles and Ben . . .

I'm not sure I blame Sawyer for not trusting Jack. Jack did get Juliet killed after all.

Anonymous said...

Sawyer, Sheppard and Reyes are the names remaining that are not crossed off. Austen was crossed off, but what did she do to get that distinction (Claire too)?

The 4 remaining 815ers are the same ones Michael traded for Walt. Of which I believe Sheppard was not on the list.

No sign of Richard, Ben, and Miles. Do you think Widmore has them?

I get a feeling theat Hugo is the one to figure out how to defeat Flocke. I hope it doesn't cost him his life. I also get the feeling that the end result is a stalemate. Solution is akin to tic-tac-toe. Once the players understand the game they cannot be defeated.

-steve