Friday, February 29, 2008

The Constant

“What do you expect to find?”

“Answers.”

And we got some . . .

1. Desmond – so do you prefer your rugged Scotsman w/ long hair or short hair? I was kind of diggin’ Des circa 1996. Kinda sexy

2. The “jumping” of Desmond between 1996 and 2004 confirms a few things:
--There is a time warp connected to the island
--The Island is highly electromagnetic
--Desmond is hot in both decades

3. This week in Lost Literature:
We’ve discussed a number of times the references to the Odyssey. Clearly, Des is Oddyseus and Penelope is, well, Penelope. To review the classical story:
--Penelope waits for the return of her husband for 20 years. So far, our Penny has only had to wait 8 . . . but she seems willing to wait as long as necessary
--Penelope and Odysseus have a son (hmm . . .)
--Odysseus returns to his wife in disguise as a suitor (an old beggar)
--In the Hero’s Journey – Penelope is the device that allows for the triumph of the hero. Will Des be our final hero on this long, convoluted journey.

4. The course of true love never did run smooth . . .
--Des hastily dumped Penny and ran off to join the army.
--Daddy Widmore hates Desmond, and if you recall, he worked hard to thwart their romance from the beginning (more on this later . . .)
--Penelope lives on Cheyne Walk, home of the famous, like Mick Jagger and Keith Richards.
--Des can hardly get together change for the pay phone.

5. “The Black Rock”
--This is the ship on the island. A painting and journal from one of its captains is being auctioned.
--The journal was found near Madagascar – the place we saw Charlotte in her flashback (or forward)
--It was owned by Tovar Hanso, ancestor of the founders of the Dharma Initiative
--Mr. Charles Widmore purchases it.

6. It’s all about Penny and her creepy-ass dad . . . Why else would he give Desmond her address?!!

7. Daniel Ferraday –
--I now believe that in the premiere, his was a flash forward. He started crying about the discovery of Oceanic 815 wreckage . . . and he said he didn’t know why. In other words, SOMETHING HAS GONE WRONG.
--Therefore, if his was a flashforward, so were those of Miles, Charlotte, and Frank. What do you think? What would all this mean?
--He had some sweet hair at Oxford. He is apparently an intellectual outcast. Others taunt his research on time travel.

8. This week in Biblical Studies: Daniel is told to set his device to 2.342 at 11hz. This is what Daniel 2 says in the bible, and it totally fits!!:
·

1. In the second year of his reign, Nebuchadnezzar had dreams; his mind was troubled and he could not sleep. 2. So the king summoned the magicians, enchanters, sorcerers and astrologers to tell him what he had dreamed. When they came in and stood before the king, 3. he said to them, "I have had a dream that troubles me and I want to know what it means. " 4. Then the astrologers answered the king in Aramaic, "O king, live forever! Tell your servants the dream, and we will interpret it." 5. The king replied to the astrologers, "This is what I have firmly decided: If you do not tell me what my dream was and interpret it, I will have you cut into pieces and your houses turned into piles of rubble. 6. But if you tell me the dream and explain it, you will receive from me gifts and rewards and great honor. So tell me the dream and interpret it for me." 7. Once more they replied, "Let the king tell his servants the dream, and we will interpret it." 8. Then the king answered, "I am certain that you are trying to gain time, because you realize that this is what I have firmly decided: 9. If you do not tell me the dream, there is just one penalty for you. You have conspired to tell me misleading and wicked things, hoping the situation will change. So then, tell me the dream, and I will know that you can interpret it for me." 10. The astrologers answered the king, "There is not a man on earth who can do what the king asks! No king, however great and mighty, has ever asked such a thing of any magician or enchanter or astrologer. 11. What the king asks is too difficult. No one can reveal it to the king except the gods, and they do not live among men." 12. This made the king so angry and furious that he ordered the execution of all the wise men of Babylon. 13 So the decree was issued to put the wise men to death, and men were sent to look for Daniel and his friends to put them to death. 14. When Arioch, the commander of the king's guard, had gone out to put to death the wise men of Babylon, Daniel spoke to him with wisdom and tact.

--Book 11 is about a battle between the King from the South and the King of the North”, but most significant: Then a mighty king will appear, who will rule with great power and do as he pleases. -- Could it be Ben? Or Mr. Widmore?


--Daniel instructs Frank to follow 305 degrees North, a reference to Mr. Eko’s stick w/ the verse: "Lift up your eyes and look north - John 3:05".

--I CLEARLY NEED TO GO TO SEMINARY SCHOOL!

9. The Losties are told that their concept of time may be warped.

10. Fisher Stevens plays the previously mentioned George Minkowski. He is suffering the same fate as Desmond, except he has no “anchor.” I wonder if in his “jumps” he sees Steve Guttenberg and Number 5 and talks in a really stereotypical Indian accent?

11. Penny and Desmond’s conversation:
She’s been looking for him for 3 years – why just 3?
She knows about the island
She has been researching something, but the phone line cuts out before we hear what.
She confirms that she spoke to Charlie – Des and Sayid should be worried!!!!
It was really touching; I got a little teary.

12. KEY LINE OF THE NIGHT: Daniel reads in his journal, “IF ANYTHING GOES WRONG, DESMOND HUME WILL BE MY CONSTANT.” What is he expecting to go wrong?

So the real question is, will you be my constant? If I call you in 8 years, will you answer?
Namaste,
Your Loyal Lost Loser

6 comments:

LoyalLostLoser said...

Anybody out there? Come on, at least respond to my awesome Steve Gutenberg reference!

EW said...

Not to Short Circuit your comments, Kate, but this is a difficult show to comment on. Since I have an ice cold beer, hop along is doing fine and little Scout isn't eating anything she shouldn't, I'll take a swing.

I prefer circa 2004 Desmond. Just saying.

When Daniel asks if Desmond was exposed to radiation, I think the answer was yes - when the hatch exploded.

In one way, Penelope is already the device that has lead to one triumph of our hero - she has apparently allowed Desmond to quit oing all Quantum Leap and stay in good ole 2004.

Speaking of the Black Rock, am I the only one that wants to hear Desmond, in his best Sean Connery, say "welcome to the rock!"?

The reference to Nebuchadnezzar is ironic because we're watching the Matrix as we write.

Onto the awards:

Line of the night: Call me sappy, but when Desmond and Penelope finally got to say I love you to each other.

The Michael "My Boy" Annoying Character of the Night: Charlotte. I've hated her since we first met her and she's climbing high on my "hope they die next" list (or in Carla speak - she wants to send them to the Island where Barry Bonds, the University of Michigan football team and various asundry idiots get sent to -- like Australia 200 years ago).

Did you know? In China, hair from Chuck Norris' beard is considered an aphrodisiac. Well, knowing is half the battle . . .

Anonymous said...

Okay, I really am "more lost than I have ever ben...(I mean been)."

I was all over the Daniel flashforward thing a few weeks back when we met him. It's my first "figure this out before all you smart guys explain things to me" moment with this show! I am excited. I think I even shed a tear.

Isn't it safe to assume that everyone on the island was exposed during the explosion and this all will happen to everyone? How close did you have to be to the explosion to be exposed vs. safe? How about Locke? Mr. Echo (I know he is dead now, but still he was awesome)?

Is this the basis of everyone's connection if they leave the island? Is that why Kate has Aaron? Is he her constant? Is that why she freaked about being put in jail during her trial? (well, I guess anyone would freak if they had to spend their time in jail). Kate is Jack's constant...so on and so on.

Because of the "research" - is that why Penelope's dad was so quick to give Des the address, because he knows that Des needs it or he will die? I have heard of girls going to the bathroom together, but you boys do this too? Probably the most interesting lesson I learned from this episode.

By the way, I was reminded of the Colletti Flood of 2007 when the sink was running. Yes folks, I did this a few months ago. Didn't leave a warm fuzzy when Mike got home.


Honorary Mentions:
1. Desmond, I will take a tall scoop of you right out of 1996. Yummy!

2. I am right with you Evan with Charlotte. I think we have met someone more annoying than Kate (not you Saunders).

3. The guy who was strapped down in the room - can they recruit any creepier actors? Just when I thought Ben was creepy...wow! Glad he is dead so he doesn't haunt my dreams anymore than on Thurs night.

Signing off! Did I say enough?

Anonymous said...

Oh!! And whoever died when they got off the island, remember? Is that because their constant was back on the island and they couldn't connect - Who was that who died??? I need to know!

Gabriella said...

You can totally call me. :) Lord knows, with 4 kids, I'll probably be here. I'll be crazy, but I'll be here.

I absolutely loved this episode. Of course, how could I not with Hot!Desmond being so prominently featured? Did you see those arms? I said to Mike, "That was a fantastic episode. I loved it. Then again, I'd love any episode with Desmond and those fantastic arms."

*Sigh...*

This episode totally made me weepy. I even got a emotional over the line in Daniel's journal. I want Desmond Hume to be MY constant. I wanted to cry when she said she spoke to Charlie. I immediately recalled him in his final scene on the freighter and teared up. I miss him.

In response to your post:

Yes, Desmond is hot in any decade.
Also, a hug for Sayid b/c I love him, too.

RE: Fisher Stevens. I forgot about that one. Wasn't he in Desperately Seeking Susan?

I, too, hate Charlotte. That was the role Kristen Bell was supposed to take, I totally canNOT see that.

Anonymous said...

Powerful post.