Friday, February 8, 2008

Confirmed Dead

Good morning! After a week of strep throat, I am feeling good today after a night of Lost viewing and dissecting. Yes, I am a freak, I know.

As Heather and I discussed yesterday, Lost is like a really long book . . . one that is taking us a total of nine years to read. It’s kind of like my experience w/ The Brothers Karamozov!

What did we discover last night . . .

1. The news media reports that a salvaging ship called the Christiane (like Christian Shephard – hmmmm . . . ) has found the wreckage of Oceanic 815. All 344 passengers are confirmed dead. DO NOT BE SUCKED IN BY THIS. THEY ARE NOT DEAD. THEY ARE NOT IN PURGATORY. More on that later as we discuss our lovely new friends Dan, Charlotte, Myles, and Frank.

2. We first meet sad young Dan Ferraday. Things to know about him include:
· He’s really kind of pathetic. Who wears a tie to parachute onto an island?
· He’s married.
· He weeps at the news report but says he doesn’t know why.
· Michael Faraday (September 22, 1791 – August 25, 1867) was an English physicist who researched electromagnetism. Michael Faraday's discoveries led to the development of Faraday cages, an enclosure used to block outside radio and electromagnetic waves. James Clerk Maxwell took the work of Faraday, and others, and consolidated it with a set of equations that form the basis of modern theories of electromagnetic phenomena.
· His name first appeared as the season 4 clue word for chapter 2 of the Find 815 alternate reality game.
· During casting this character was named Russell. "Russell Faraday" is the alias given to the villain at the end of Stephen King's The Stand. (I love shout outs to my favorite book ever!) (lostpedia.com)
· He claims to be a physicist.
· He is from Massachusetts
· He looks like Eliot from E.T. but he is not.
3. Vincent returns! Yay! Love that crazy hound!
4. If there’s something strange in your neighborhood, who ya gonna call? Miles (like our beloved Myles) Straum (like our beloved Mrs. Strom)! What should you know about this cranky man?
· He speaks to the dead.
· He finds cash and heroin in the vent of a murdered young man’s room. He tells the ghost he can leave now. He keeps the cash but puts the drugs back. Interesting . . . and another heroin connection
· He washes up in the same place that Desmond did.
· He reveals that they are looking for Ben and has a sweet photo of Ben in a rocking 70’s era outfit. He looks like Mr. Roper!
5. Locke wants to go to the cabin. Hurley accidentally reveals that he knows about the cabin, too, but claims it is in a different direction. Does this mean the cabin moves?
6. Best line of the night: “Why are we following Colonel Kurtz?” -- Sawyer re: Locke.
7. Locke reveals that Walt spoke to him and told him where to go. The other Losties seem hesitant to follow him.
8. Beautiful moment of irony – Locke didn’t die from being shot because his father conned him out of his kidney.
9. Are the Losties the new Others? Jack pulls out the same trick on Miles and Dan that Mr. Happy did to him in the season finale of season 1. He has his “friends” surround them in the woods and fire weapons. Hmmmm . . .
10. Charlotte Staples Lewis:
· Initials are CS Lewis. Coincidence? I think not!
· She’s quite perky!
· She’s an archaelogist
· She is more interested in the collar w/ the Dharma Hydra on it than she is in the fact that they found Polar Bear remains in Tunisia! It’s like she expected it.
· I think she is a rich girl w/ a penchant for mysteries.
· Ben knows all about her
11. 37 minutes in Kate gets all pouty when Juliet shows up. But it must be a record! Kate has gone two full episodes without crying.
12. Frank Lepidas:
· A familiar face to many – Jeff Fahey (Lawnmower Man)
· Lives in Eleuthera, Bahamas
· Was supposed to be the pilot of 815
· Swears that the body of the pilot on the newsreport is not Seth Norris. He is the only one of the four that has a clear reason to be looking for the survivors of 815.
· He sees a cow. I just thought that was funny.
· He lands the helicopter
13. This week in Bible Studies –
· We have a Daniel now! Daniel means “judged by God”. Or “God is a judge”
· Some people think he is a prophet, others do not. He spoke to angels but not directly to God.
· DANIEL was among the Jews who were taken captive into Babylon about 2600 years ago. He rose to a high position in the Babylonian government. Daniel saw and described the great world empires that were to come. He also prophesied about a Messiah. (aboutbibleprophecy.com)
· Daniel 2:32-33Daniel predicted the four great kingdoms Daniel 9:24-26Daniel predicted when an anointed one would be rejected Daniel 9:26Daniel foretold the destruction of Jerusalem and the Temple (aboutbibleprophecy.com)
· Carla, Evan, and I are working on a theory re: Jacob, Naomi, John, Jack, etc. Read their posts from last week . . . but we think Jack might represent Jesus, which would make me a Jesus-hater, and that wouldn’t be good. Let’s hope this theory changes.
14. Where were my hotties?!! No Jin? No Desmond? Sawyer still needs to wash his hair to be put back on this list for me. But as Heather pointed out, Locke was looking kind of good . . . quite the pectorals on that man! Hey, I will take what I can get.
15. WHO IS GEORGE?
16. People still on the freighter . . . Regina, Newcastle, and GEORGE?
17. Juliet’s last name is Burke . . . another reference to a philosopher . . . Edmund Burke. One of his famous quotes is: Man acts from adequate motives relative to his interest, and not on metaphysical speculations." That certainly fits our friend Juliet, and shows she is a major character.
18. Did anyone watch the music video that they were promoting? The picture of Kate in her skivvies probably got some of you to stay up late to watch it, but it made me want to puke. I will check it out later on Youtube.
I think I need to go spend some time w/ Hurley in the bin. I might be a tad on the crazy side myself paying this much attention to a t.v. show.
Now that I’ve written a novel, I ask you to share your opinions.
Namaste,
Your Loyal Lost Loser

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Want to make sure this works first.

Anonymous said...

Ok, I think that last one sent.

This is Kate #2. Ok, here are our (mine and David's) thoughts re: last night's episode.

First of all, we spent a lot of time on the map that showed where the wreckage was found...because it is going in the EXACT opposite direction of LA. We checked it out, and Sidney (which is where they flew out of) is on the southwest side of Australia, which leads us to believe that the only way they could have crashed on the NORTHEAST side of Australia would have been if the pilot PURPOSELY went the wrong way. Thoughts?

Also, do I remember seeing Daniel as one of Ben's people on an episode last year or so? He nags at me as someone we've seen before on the show, and I don't know if I am wrong...

So, Asian dude is there for treasure or something. Pilot is there to find his friends? Red is there for the Dharma collar, but how does she know about it?...and Daniel is there...why? And how did all these people find each other? Because of Matthew Abaddon? Interesting conversation with Naomi and Abaddon...he kept insisting that THERE WERE NO SURVIVORS. So is that who he was talking about with Hurley at the nuthouse last week? "Are they still alive?" Like, his people? Hmm....

Ok, so I realize this is more questions than it is concrete answers/thoughts...but hope it is interesting at least...

Love all you Losties!Thanks for helping us get to the bottom of this Kate!

Kate Young

Creation Care Network said...

I think Matthew Abaddon is quite possibly the creepiest character ever on Lost. No character has scared me that much since Mr. Friendly took Walt at the end of season 1. His face is even freakier than Ben's intense/scary face.

Anonymous said...

Hey all!
This is my first blog posting ever! I am so excited!
I feel so special to be mentioned in Kate's latest Lost Ramblings. How do you like my user name?!?!
Grant and I noticed the Strom last name used last night for one of the "rescuers". We're still not sure about them...and are a bit frustrated at why they are there, what they are looking for, if they are good, etc. I do think the pilot is in it to find the survivors, but not sure about the other ones. Kate, great thoughts on the latest posting! Can't wait to see how this all pans out!

SinD said...

Hello my long "Lost" friends!
Though I have not been happy that Lost was moved to Thursday night, I sure do love sitting down Friday morning to read the Lost Loser Ramblings.
Kate - I don't know how you do it.
2. That is very interesting background! He seems like such a stoner.
5. It seemed like Locke was pleased that Hugo had seen the cabin.
6. I loved how the Kurtz line was followed by Locke standing in the rain like a lunatic while everyone is huddled under the tree watching him.
9. interesting theory - one of the preview shows focused a lot on mirror images.
10. so is the CS Lewis nod to the whole Narnia concept - another world existing at the same time through a portal. That opens a lot of windows.I can see many connections. At the end of the narnia chronicles, Digory says, "It's all in Plato." Lewis is interesting in this context because he seems to spend a lot of time on the line between theology and philosophy - which is so Lost. I feel like we've been here before? Have there been other ref.s to Lewis?
11. I think Kate had some work done - nose, lips? something's different.
14. Locke definitely looks like he's been working out. I love greasy-hair Sawyer. He almost killed Ben for talking about how Kate and Jack were hooking up.
- Thanks Kate - for all your hard work! I miss you all! Happy Friday!

LoyalLostLoser said...

el donk . . . who are you? are you lostboy of years past?

SinD said...

think about it master riddle solver - the answer is all in the letters...

LoyalLostLoser said...

oh, el donk, you make me laugh. i miss you!

Anonymous said...

Hey there! I too have been on my death bed over the past few days. So pardon my recap (as I was in and out of consciousness).

The Fereday (sp?) guy, when they showed him crying over the report of found wreckage, was he crying before or after his visit to the island? Or do you think he was a guy who was one of the others that has left the island and has to "go back" as in the reference from Hurley to Jack last week. Just a thought. And that is why he was crying.

I am getting frustrated with more questions, no answers here!! I still have so many questions from the last episode of last season that they haven't answered.

I love your recaps Kate! You rock. And no one looked good enough for me this week (maybe it's just my sick state of mind.).

Till next week my friends!

EW said...

I was actually quite pleased with the rhythm of Thursday's show. It moved along and didn't drag through dead spots. The flash backs were quick, concise and filled with helpful background. Who woulda thunk?

Carla and I have some interesting theories about the crew from the boat, the gas masks and possibly an interesting Miles connection to the island, and how their could be another mirror image of events, but I'll let her share those ideas (I guess you could call this a teaser, folks. . .)

I disagree about the line of the night - I think it was Jack's retort to Miles after Miles accused Jack of playing him with the "my friends have their guns on you" line. I miss snarky Jack. On that subject, Kate can track which direction Naomi went in like half a second, but she can't notice Juliet and Sayid in the jungle or understand Jack's wink. This gal perplexes me.

I'll give it another couple of episodes, but Charlotte is coming close to being tops on my list to die next. Very self absorbed and quite dense. Although not quite as much of an idiot as Dan Ferraday seems to be. Maybe he’ll turn into a loveable loser type.

I just can't understand the insistence by Abbadon that there were no survivors and then sending a five-person team with only one (Naomi) with paramilitary skills. If they are after Ben, don't they know that his cadre of folks would protect him and fight? Something doesn't seem right about all this, unless some of the posts were right that Miles, Charlotte, Dan and Frank are somehow supposed to be on the island or are returning in some capacity and Matthew used this ruse to get them there.

I really wanted Ben to tell us what the black smoke is. I think Ben seemed the most surprised and disturbed by the cabin talk, as he should be. He still views Locke as a big threat. I like the juxtaposition of splitting up the two groups, it gives a chance to see Jack and Locke individually as leaders and there is something quite rewarding about seeing it without all the conflict between the two. I also enjoy the interesting chemistry between Sawyer and Locke given their history with Locke’s father, who was the man who created the men that Sawyer and Locke are today (in the same way that Batman created the Joker, I guess . . .) and also the interaction between Jack and Sayid as Sayid continues to try and be a man who is on the right side of things as opposed to his past.

With Ben captured and so many of their colleagues killed on the beach, just what are the rest of the Others up to? Is Richard going to be the new leader? What happens when the four distinct groups (Jack’s group, Locke’s group, the Others and the boaties) all come in contact at the same time?

Jessica N said...

Rookie blogger alert!!!! Where are Jin and Sun? I miss them so. Any thoughts on which one of the "rescuers" is on Ben's team??? He(Ben) has such a horrible case of LMS, it is kind of sad.