Thursday, April 9, 2009

"What Happened, Happened" and "Dead is Dead"

This is my second try at this . . . my computer crashed mid-blog. Aaarrgghhh! It’s a two-for-one, too. Hope you enjoy!

“Whatever Happened, Happened”

As much as I hate to admit it, I had sympathy for Kate in this episode. She did the right thing by Aaron and Claire, and I was a little choked up when she said goodbye to Aaron. But I still hate her!

1. Do you think Cassidy was right about Sawyer being a coward by staying on the island? I thought she had a point . . . but he’s still hot and awesome.

2. Classic – Miles trying to explain time travel to Hurley. In the end, his theory did make sense . . . even though Ben didn’t remember them . . .

3. Go Team Juliet! Way to score some points for Jawyer!

4. Why did Kate NEED Aaron?

5. Is it the Losties’ fault that Ben is Ben?

6. BEST LINE: Hurley looking at his hand, waiting for it to “Marty McBride”

7. We learn that Ellie and Charles were in charge of the Others . . . what happened? Well, we learned a bit in . . .

“Dead is Dead”

1. WHERE THE HELL ARE ROSE AND BERNARD? SERIOUSLY!!!

2. Richard saved Ben against Charles’ wishes, just as Ben would later save Alex against Charles’ wishes. Both claim it is what Jacob wants. So again, who the hell is Jacob? For a minute I thought maybe it was Sawyer . . .

3. Ben claims he came back to the island to be judged . . . do you think this is true? I don’t but I think he was forced into following through on his lie. The island made him do it!

4. Why does Ilana look so much like Ana Lucia? Do you think it is coincidence?

5. SOUL GLO AWARD: Although there is no actual Soul Glo used, Ben’s hair was SWEEET! Paired with the ascot . . . totally hot. (Please note sarcasm).

6. Ben trained Ethan; he must have lured him away from Dharma somehow. Maybe because he was the only other kid around for E to look up to?

7. HALLELUJAH! The Locke I know and love is back! He is not that whiny, insipid guy anymore. He wasn’t buying any of Ben’s bullshit.

8. Why did Charles think Danielle and Alex needed to be killed? He’s clearly not a nice man . . . but I still can’t decide if he is better or worse than Ben. Maybe we’re not supposed to be able to make that distinction; maybe that’s the point.

9. Sun is waiting for Locke. Alex says if Ben tries to hurt Locke, if he doesn’t follow Locke, she will kill him. Is Locke Jacob somehow?

10. GO TEAM PESMOND!!!! Way to kick Ben’s ass!

11. THIS WEEK IN LOST LITERATURE: Our Mutual Friend
Charles Dickens’ last book
A man seeks to win the love of a woman on the merits of his own character rather than through his inheritance. Maybe Des has a secret background we don’t know about yet . . .
This is the book Des carries around with him in previous seasons, the one that is only to be opened if he dies. He finds a letter from Penny in it when he is contemplating suicide while trapped in the hatch. This book kept him going.

12. So is “dead” “dead”? And if so, does that mean Locke is really dead? Aaaarrgght! I can’t wrap my head around this!

13. Ilana is working for someone . . . she wants to know “What lies in the shadow of the statue?” Could it be Smokey?

14. THIS WEEK IN RELIGIOUS STUDIES: Under the temple, Ben find Hieroglyphics and a representation of Anubis, Egyptian god who was the gatekeeper to the underworld and Osiris. Anubis is the “Weigher of Souls” on their way to the afterlife. Ben clearly has a crappy soul . . .

15. What’s up with the crappy F/X during the Smokey scene? That was awful!

Can’t wait to see Miles’ story next week!

Namaste,
LLL

6 comments:

LoyalLostLoser said...

Hello? . . . Is anybody out there? . . .

Lohrmanns said...

Spring Break Fever . . .

I have a question from past episodes - how can Miles be in the Dharma Initiative if his "father" (the Asian "Doctor" in all the trainig videos) is on the island at the same time. Were we wrong about the father/son connection?

I did not feel sorry for Kate - never really liked her. I don't know why she needed Aaron. I think Sawyer did jump off the boat because he was chicken, but since he wa forced to live a "normal" life on the island (with that uber-woman Juliet), he is a different guy now.

I am glad we are back to the "mysteries of the island" part, but what time are Locke/Ben/Sun, etc in? Could it really have only been 3 years and the compund is a dump? Where are the original "Others"? Where is Richard? When Locke left the island, di they all just disappear.

i think Iliana was hired by Widmore - after Ben phoned hom, he put his crew together? Don't know, but there is a connection and she seems to kow about the island somehow. Poor Frank.

Cooll about Alex kicking her dad's butt! Looking orward to next week - maybe the question of Miles' parents/origins will be answered.

Lohrmanns said...

sorry - didn't check for typos before I posted!!

Merianne said...

Sorry I'm on vacation.

I think the Asian baby is sun. Not sure how. That would explain why she didn't time travel back because a person cannot occupy the same time warp. Same with Ben. Which means somehow frank is back there too, right?? This is just my thought.

I love miles. I have decided.

Where the he'll is faraday, rose and her hubby? How about claire??

I think the best lone of the night was when Locke said, "ben I didn't picture you running your people behind the desk-seems rather 'corporate' of you.".

That's all I can type in my cell phone right now. Hopefully more later!!

Anonymous said...

I'm proud of you for feeling sorry for Kate. I was wondering that while watching. I did, too.
I also knew you would make some witty comment about Ben's hair as a young'un. Although personally I think his sweet parted hairdo while pushing Alex on the swing was even more hip.

After hearing Miles' explanation of their "new" present and time travel, do we know for sure that Ben doesn't "remember" them. You're right--this is all very difficult to understand fully. I will concur with your pirate-like "Aaarrrrgggh."

My biggest question is about Richard, though. Who the hell is this guy?! Obviously he's time-traveling, but why is he so important, but somehow less important than Charles in the past.

Is what lies in the shadow of the statue the entrance to hell? And who is Ilana working for? Weird.

Lastly, I am still conflicted about the scene inside Smoky. I can't decide if it was cheesy or cool. It reminded me of Superman, when he flies up into the atmosphere and is confronted with visions of his father, etc. (Marlon Brando anyone?) I actually thought Ben would die there, just like I thought for sure he'd kill Penny.

Sorry it took so long to respond. I had to watch the first episode online since my DVR is being naughty!

Rob

Unknown said...

You haven't posted for tonight yet, but I had to leave a comment! Grant totally called it that Miles' dad was Dr. Chang right from the beginning. It's been fun the last two weeks with the episodes connecting some dots for us. I'll post more after I read your next posting!