Thursday, May 3, 2007

The Brig

Dear Diary,

Sometimes I feel like nobody cares. I am so glad I have you to share with all my ideas and thoughts about Lost. Maybe one day I will find some friends who will want to discuss these ideas with me. One can only wish . . . for now, it’s you and me, diary!

I loved this episode. I love all things Locke, and contrary to what some might argue, he is not a big wussy! He is a man of faith and a good man . . . I’ll explain more in a bit.

1. We open with a scene of Locke burning a file . . . later in the episode it becomes clear that the file belongs to Sawyer, not to Locke himself. Is he trying to protect Sawyer? Because he knows that Sawyer will be justified? Or is he trying to protect himself by letting the Others believe he killed Cooper/Sawyer/Daddy?
2. Coop keeps saying to Locke, “Don’t you know where we are?” He thinks they are in Hell. But why would he think Locke is there?
3. Sawyer is trying way too hard with Little Miss Pouty Face Thong Wearing in the Jungle Kate. Gag!
4. But Sawyer must be “gifted” in some areas. It is dark outside when Locke appears, and yet Locke is still moved to remind Sawyer to zip his pants. What must he have seen? If only Lost were rated NC-17 . . . imagine the possibilities! (Don’t get offended, gentlemen. You know you want to see Kate or Juliet or Claire in the buff)
5. I CALLED IT!! SEE PREVIOUS RAMBLINGS re: THE REAL SAWYER!
6. Stewardess (sorry, Flight Attendant) Cindy tells Locke, “We’ve been waiting for you.” Who do they think he is?
7. Ben is trying to play Locke like a violin. “Since you showed up, I have been getting better” -- I think he’s been faking it for a while. “You’re special” -- yes, he is, but Ben wants to destroy him so he can’t be too special. That’s why . . .
8. He tells him he has to make a gesture of Free Will and kill his father. Hmmm. . . Isn’t free will when you CHOOSE what to do? Well, I would argue that Locke does just that. He CHOOSES not to become a killer. He knows if he does, the Island will turn against him.
9. No one trusts Jack anymore.
10. But they clearly shouldn’t trust Sayid either! First of all, as much as I like Sayid, he has the most blood on his hands of anyone on the island. Second of all, it took him about five minutes to tell Kate about Naomi.
11. A puzzle – Naomi Dorit is said to be an anagram. Any ideas?
12. Naomi confirms again that the plane was found and all the passengers were still on board. But don’t buy it . . . it is NOT purgatory/hell. You can’t be killed if you’re already dead.
13. Naomi also confirms she was sent by Penelope Widmore to find Desmond.
14. Best line of the night: Cooper/Sawyer/Daddy: “You’re wasting your time Bug-Eye . . . “
15. Locke is approached by Richard, hot Other who hired Juliet, and told that Ben is wasting their time with fertilitiy. He gives Locke Sawyer’s file.
16. What is Danielle planning to blow up?
17. Ben confirms they take pregnant women. Claims they are not hurt. Why is he so interested in baby-makin?
18. This week in Bible Studies: Sawyer’s mom was named Mary. Mary Magdalene? Mary mother of Jesus?
19. Jasper, Alabama – one of the leading areas of coal production.
20. Black Rock = Slave Ship.
21. I could not believe Sawyer went through with it!
22. What does Juliet think they should tell Kate? They didn’t seem surprised by Naomi’s arrival. I think Juliet has let Jack in on all her secrets . . . I think they are working together to take down Ben.
23. Locke: “I’m on my own journey now.” Locke’s back!
24. Something I’ve been thinking about . . . John and Jack are two ways of saying the same name. Any thoughts?
25. Previews look kick ass!

Shambalah and Namaste,

Your Loyal Lost Loser

9 comments:

SinD said...

Dear LLR's Diary,
5. I kept telling Marcus - Kate totally knew that...but he was thinking Kate from the show...I had to clarify, no, MY Kate! :-)

I totally agree that Locke is a good man - but he did have his daddy assassinated - is that really that much better than doing it yourself? Will it help Sawyer to "heal" or will it create more guilt for him? Maybe since he was puking afterward, it symbolized him purging that part of himself.
What do you think about this whole magic box thing? Why did Sayid ask if they actually saw the helicopter? There was a movie I saw awhile ago (or a tv show?) where aliens or people from the future would get on a plane that was going to crash and they would take all the people off and replace them just before they died - I don't remember what the movie was or what happened to the people after they were taken from the plane- does this sound familiar to anyone? I'll try to figure out what it was.
I think Jack and Juliet know that Kate is pregnant.
Only 3 more episodes!!!

Anonymous said...

I am AMAZED that you didn't complain about Kate b/c I totally did last night. WHY would she run and tell Jack...the little baby. I was so pissed.

And I refuse to hear any slander about Sayid. I luv him. :) I think Hurley was right in turning to him.

And--as usual, I love Sawyer. Yes, I know he's a murderer--I don't care. :) So, my question is this--did he throw up b/c he was so upset he killed a man or b/c he'd found the person "responsible" for his parent's death?

I agree w/Cyndi's prediction regarding Kate unknown pregnancy. :)

Chris Billie said...

You are not alone. I am your friend. However, I missed many details as I multi-tasked during the episode. I busily tried to find an appropriate "kick" song for the DGN Athenas next year - so dear friends - which is better Katmandu by Bob Seger or Funkytown by Lip Candy?

Back to LLR - I like the intimate scene with Sawyer and Kate. I find him very attractive - but I have always been a fan of bad boys.

I believe you can be killed if you're already dead, think of the movie "Night of the Living Dead."

Shambala, my friend, Chris

Kate #2 said...

First of all, I just want to say, What are we, chopped liver? We are all friends that discuss Lost every Thursday morning! Don't forget about us!

Second of all, I was looking online last night at all the ideas for acronyms, but they were all stupid. I'll keep my eye out. I knew that Sawyer was going to be Cooper's son...and now I know why...because Kate called it!

Also, Ben did say that they are going to "get the pregnant WOMEN" from the camp, so that could definitely support the whole Kate being preggers thing.

Also, the stone stairs and ancient column at the Others' new camp looks super old...are they perhaps back in time? Or has that theory been debunked also?

What is the deal with the fake dead bodies? Why would someone do that?

That's all I got...

LoyalLostLoser said...

I do not take my weekly responders for granted . . . I love you!

Anonymous said...

Did I hear correctly? Did Locke refer to Danielle as Rousseau?

LoyalLostLoser said...

Yep . . . it's the battle of the Philosophers!

Anonymous said...

Remind me never to go to this island. It appears that fertility is high and frankly, my 2 children are all I can handle!!! I love you Kate - by the way 524am this was posted??? You early bird!

Carla said...

I will try to provide some insightful commentary later, but I wanted to thank the wonderful blogger for her hard work.

My only two comments:
1) I love anagrams! I have had no insightful results, other than "I do not tram." And I have a feeling the producers are not sending a message about public transportation.

2) The stairs/column did look old. Thinking about the whole biblical connection (and forgive me if I don't remember by Sunday School lessons correctly) -- Abraham was asked by God to sacrifice his son Issac (Jacob & Ben's father) on the alter. This was a test of faith and since Abraham was willing and showed his faith in God, God did not demand the sacrifice. Possibly an interesting parallel considering all the questions of sacrifice. Locke is being asked to sacrifice his father. Going along with the idea of the island as God (does that make the Black Smoke the Holy Ghost?), would sacrificing his father be akin to sacrificing The Father/the island/his faith. This would make Ben quite the Mephistopheles. However, Ben tried to claim he must sacrifice to achieve the higher purpose. Hmm, now I feel more confused.

Note: this ramble has achieved nothing and I apologize for you now being stupider for having read it (credit: Billy Madison).